Cover Crop Calculators:
- GreenCover Cover Crop Smartmix Calculator.
- Midwest Cover Crop Council – Cover Crop Decision Tools, for use in mid west states.
- Cornell University – Vegetable Cover Crop Guides, Northeast
- Soil Builder Brochure
- Managing Cover Crops Profitably – free digital download from SARE.
- Below is a link to a unique visual decribing many of the major cover crops and their characteristics, developed by USDA-ARS, Mandan, ND
- Cover Crop Pocket Guide (Midwest) produced by members of the Midwest Cover Crops Council ($5)
- Northwest (U.S.) Cover Crop Calculators
- Cover Crop (340) in Organic Systems (NRCS guides)
- Klickitat County, Washington Compost C:N calculator
- Oregon State Univ. Organic Fertilizer and Cover Crop Calculator
Books, eBooks, & Other Publications:
Holistic Management/Grazing Tools:
- HMI download page – Intro. to HM, Financial Planning, Grazing Planning
Conservation Practices/Tillage on Furrow Irrigation:
- Guidelines for Using Conservation Tillage Under Furrow Irrigation, CSU Tech Report TR02-6
- Conservation Tillage Demonstration and Outreach Project
Alternative Soil Testing:
- Earthfort – direct counting of existing microorganisms (truly alternative – focuses on biology, not chemistry)
- Ward Labs provides a “PLFA” test which also focuses on soil biology by an indirect method measuring enzymes associated with specific groups of microorganisms. It can tell you a lot and is much more friendly to your wallet.
- Labs that test compost and offer other tests for producers focusing on sustainability: AgriEnergy Resources, Wallace Laboratories, Midwest Bio-Systems
- “Solvita” from Woods End Laboratories. A quick and easy field method for estimating biological activity, biomass, mineralizable N & P. The “basic” test is very simple to use but it is still quite sensitive to field conditions (ambient soil moisture) and can be difficult to get consistency between subsequent readings. The “Haney-Brinton” version (or “Burst Test”) takes moisture state out of the equation but is significantly more expensive.
- Several labs across the US (including Ward Labs above) now offer the “Haney Soil Health Test” which is essentially an index (Soil Health Calculation at Ward) based on several nutrient extracts (water and weak organic acids) combined with the Solvita Burst Test.
Soil Maps, GIS & Other Useful Mapping Tools:
- Soilmap.net – Anything to do with soil maps (specifically NRCS, NCSS maps) and online GIS & mapping software. Thematic maps too.
Climate Maps and Data: